The marking of 100 days in office by elected office holders may not be, strictly speaking, of Nigerian origin, but like any other thing we have celebrated, idolise and glorified the event such that it has become a norm.
Ideally, 100 days in office is a yardstick for measuring performance; it is a barometer of sorts for determining the direction to which a new government in power is headed. The event serves as a prism through which the citizens see and judge the motive and motion of their new leaders.
President Franklin D. Roosevelt coined the term “first 100 days” during a July 24, 1933, radio address. Since then, the first 100 days in office has taken on symbolic significance, and the period is considered a benchmark to measure the early success of a presidents, governors and local government Chairmen.
On the 10th of September, 2020, the administration of Local governments in Cross River State clocked 100 days.
Below is the first 100 days of Bekwarra Local government council under the chairmanship of Dr Josephat Owan Emeka.
1) For effective leadership, dedication to duties and performance, upon resumption of office, the Hon Chairman immediately undertook an on the spot assessment tour of the Ten Wards of the Council. Indeed these land mark tour did not only depict the essence of the local government administration, but it brought excitement to the heart of the people because of the remarkable effect it had on them.
2) The miles stones recorded during the period under review have testified that Dr Owan came ready for service with a blue print to transform the council into a model while affecting peoples life’s positively.
3)The Chairman has lifted hope in the people of Bekwarra Council with proactive measures to turn around the fortunes of the local government with sustainable projects and vision within the 1st 100 days.
4) While other local government council chairmen in the state are saying there is a casting down alleging meager monthly statutory allocations as bane on touching lives meaningfully at grassroots level, Dr Owan differed saying there is a casting up to take the Council to the next level of development.
5)Hon Joe Emeka who was sworn-in as the chairman of the council on the 2nd of June, 2020 said he came with the right vision to turn around things in Bekwarra Council by adopting strategic methods; including public private partnership initiatives to attract investment, generate employment and create wealth in Bekwarra.
6) Within 100 days in office, his administration has designed and adopted measures to plug revenue leakages as well as increase the internal revenue generation to the council.
7) To cater for health related issues, the administration has invested in primary healthcare to enhance socio-economic lives of the people. In line with the above, the council has revamped, renovated and Commissioned Two Health Posts at Ibiaragidi-Iye and Beten. The one at Ibiaragidi-Iye has been fully upgraded to a Health Center; providing primary health care services to the people.
8) Built and commissioned two functional bore-holes to provide clean portable drinking water. This was done in collaboration with CSDP.
9)The Chairman and his team have been able to get 85% of staff to be punctual and at their various duty post till the close of work. This wasn’t so before the he resumed office. You could find only 3% of the staff present.
10) Under his watch as Council Boss, normalcy has been restored along Bekwarra- katsina -Ala highway. The blockade of the highway by “Illegal Produce Operators” causing untold hardship to commuters and road users plying the highway is now a thing of the past. Road blocks, indiscriminate and unlawful collection of funds by toll collectors also has been called to order
11) Promotion of sports development, unity and cohesion amongst the Bekwarra people. Cash prizes and trophies were presented to participating teams in the competition in the 2020 Chairman’s New Yam football match across the ten council wards of Bekwarra LGA. This was successfully single handedly organized and hosted by the Council Boss. Various footballers, dignitaries and officials were duely awarded for the first time. Although awards used to be given before now, it was given only to the winning team, and would eventually be returned. The Chairman has equally revived BEKWARRA UNITED football club and is preparing them for the GOVERNOR’S CUP that is fast approaching.
12) Successfully hosting a consultative assembly of Bekwarra Traditional Rulers by the Chairman where topical traditional issues concerning the ritual that is carried out prior to the Cultural festival was effectively discussed for the growth and development of Bekwarra LGA.
13) Bekwarra LGA has been captured into the survey plan of the state government for border communities. This was made possible by the collaboration of the Council Boss through the visit of BorderCom DG to Bekwarra. Considerable success has been recorded as Dr Owan has supported the communities with funds to enable them benefit from the state government blue print for border communities in the state. This is for the purpose of boundaries and community development, through assessment and intervention.
14) COVID-19 Sensitization awareness campaign across the LGA and distribution of nose masks, sanitizers to residents of the LGA.
15) Currently, the Council Boss has initiated a deal with the Bank of Industries (BO1) for loans for Bekwarra Sons and Daughters who have one skill or the other. The idea according to him is also aimed at human capital development, self empowerment, growth and economic sustainability.
16) Within the 100 days period under review, the administration efforts have also yielded fruit with efforts geared towards the establishment of Bekwarra Innovative and Technology Academy (BITA). It is a Public Private Partnership (PPP) with ongoing discussion with NBTE. When fully operational, the Academy will produce time tested graduates in Information and Communications Technology for the emerging market.
17) Renovation of office doors and tables in the some offices in the Local Government.
18) Provision of additional Chairs and tables for staff and visitor’s convenience at the Local Government.
19)Repairs to full working abandoned Hilux for easy movement of Council officials.
20) Staff Welfare has changed considerably in an unusual way.
21) Clebration of Bekwarra new yam festival and cultural celebration 2020 was a milestone as the council boss demonstrated unequalled love and care by providing Ten Cows to the ten council wards for the occasion. This was followed with cash to enable the Bekwarra people celebrate with ease.
22) Revalidation of authorized council number plates which has been in the possession of unauthorized persons.
23) Planting and beautification of the council was undertaken by the council boss. Trees blocking the main entrance of the political block at council Secretariat has been uprooted to pave way for easy access and movement, and give the Local Government Secretariat a new look..
24) Secured and presented gifts to deserving participants in the various programs to commemorate the Bekwarra New Yam Festival.
25) Ongoing engagements towards the dismounting of illegally mounted roadblocks around Bekwarra Local Government.
26) Highly improved attitude to work among Council staff after series of meetings with the various units.
27) Ongoing partnership with the National Agency for the Control of Aids (NACA) for a robust and all involving health awareness campaign and sensitization of communities on Hiv Aids and other communicable diseases.
28) Improved security of lives and properties in the various community with the set up of rarely identified security guards among community youths for monitoring.
29) Ongoing efforts to increase the security level of the Local Government by employing more security guards.
30) Improvement in the Christian lives and ethics of staff through the formation of a standard fellowship for all staff taking place every Wednesday from 8-9am for the teachings of God and doing His wills
See photos below.